Monday, February 8, 2016

This Old Android Colors App

I wrote an app last year.  It was written in Common Lisp.  It generated colors and selectors for an Android app.  It had an interface.  It kept colors related by degree.  It worked.  I put it away.  I forgot about it.

I can't imagine how Hemingway wrote in such short sentences.  It makes me nuts to feel all constrained by a single thought and not be able to use a conjunction to extend a thought to something maybe meaningful like...

I forgot what I was saying.  Then again, Hemingway wrote amazing books which have withstood the tests of time and I write marginal software and blog posts (also likely marginal.)

The point, the point... what is the point?  I wrote a color app for Android last year.  I wanted to make buttons with stroke and fill colors and lots of them.  But being a total color spaz, I wanted them to look like they had some kind of relation other than "lots of them".  Because we all know from emacs, hmm, editors in general, that lots of colors ends up looking not brown, like in art and oil painting or pastels, but like three vibrantly colored meals suddenly evacuated from... well, you get the point.

So I wrote an app in Lisp to see if I could write an app in Lisp that might help me work with colors while making said colors look visually appealing.  It worked.  Pretty much.  I used well-defined color relationships to create the color relationships.  I think I should have to find a way to put it on the web.  Because I think other people might want to generate the same thing I did, only for their own super-cool apps.  Not that it's the only app like it or that my apps are any great shakes (yet.)  But it's good to have choice and maybe it could be something somebody might want to use.  Maybe.  I never know what anybody wants anymore.

The app allowed for a variable number of controls, a stroke color and a fill color.  Each could be defined by color relations and then the degree/intensity could be modified:

  • analogous
  • triadic
  • split-complement
  • complementary
  • lightness

There might have been some other color relationship thing in there, like monochromatic.  It was a decent prototype, so I think as soon as I finish this calculator, I'll add it to the short list of projects to get done, because web projects in Lisp aren't difficult.  At least I don't remember them being difficult.

Not that I'm writing a teaser or anything.  I find if I don't write a note about it for public consumption, I forget about it.  Like I did last year whenever it was I wrote this app and forgot to write a blog post about it.


The fact that the app generated something like 200 color specifiers (I'd said 1500 earlier because that was the last index on the generated colors, but went back after thinking about it and calculating how many unique colors it would have created) and scads of other detail is what has me thinking it might be useful.  I think that's why I built it in the first place; I wanted colors, but I didn't have ten years to generate all the xml by hand, and if I was going to do all the xml by hand, because I wanted colors, I knew I was going to end up with black, white, and charcoal grey and a lot of impatience at that.  And my inner artist wanted something less Seattle winter and more Seattle spring.  I'm from Seattle.  If you've been, you know why coffee is big, winters are depressing, and spring is like waking from darkness into lots of fresh berries everywhere and colors that leave you blinking as you wonder where all the amazing colors came from.  Spring is an amazing season, but spring in Seattle is pretty nice, though it's been twenty years since I've visited.

I wax poetic sometimes.  But I can't write like anybody else.  Except I used to channel my inner Hunter S. Thompson a long time ago.  But that's a story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment